Further Covid-19 restrictions announced for England
On Saturday 31st October the Government announced a second national lockdown for England with further restrictions due to be imposed from Thursday 5th November to Wednesday 2nd December. This announcement would have come at a shock to everyone including Elmhurst members.
Prime Minster Boris Johnson, was quick to highlight in his announcement that this is not the same lockdown that the country experienced earlier in the year. People are being told to stay at home unless they have a specific reason to leave, such as work which cannot be done from home, and education.
Whilst we are awaiting detailed guidance from MHCLG;
- Robert Jenrick, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, was quick to confirm in a tweet that the housing market was to remain open which includes the following:
- Renters & homeowners will be able to move
- Removal firms and estate agents can operate
- Construction sites can and should continue
- Tradespeople will be able to enter homes
- But all must follow the Covid safety guidance
- Commercial assessments would, we believe, also be permitted as they cannot be undertaken remotely.
In summary we believe that energy assessment can and should continue as long as it is safe to do so.
Our Members in Wales are reminded that they are currently unable to undertake energy assessments unless the dwelling is empty at the time of the assessment due to the current 'firebreak lockdown'. More information about this is available on our Covid-19 FAQs. Our members in Scotland are required to operate under regional restrictions, with a 5 tiered approach, and should seek local advice.
Elmhurst would like to remind those members that are permitted to work about our updated guidance which can be found on Access Elmhurst. This document provides information about how to complete energy assessments safely and is based on the official guidance provided by government. Elmhurst will continue to monitor information provided by the government and share this with our member and the wider industry.
For the official position on what the restrictions mean can be found here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae