On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor (OCDEA) Training
Every newly built domestic dwelling in the UK requires an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before being sold or let. As an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor (OCDEA), you will have the skills and knowledge to complete energy calculations using Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) software to produce a new build EPC.
The On construction market is currently seeing sustained growth reinforced by the government's promise to build a large amount of new homes.
As a trained and qualified assessor with Elmhurst Energy you will be given the appropriate tools and preparation to go out and produce accurate energy assessments for these new build properties; fully supported by a professional accreditation body.
Established in 1993 and operating across the UK, Elmhurst Energy are recognised for driving standards of excellence in energy assessment. This starts with the high quality training and CPD that we provide.
People who have attended our courses always comment on the level of professionalism and expertise which is given to them. Our experienced trainers ensure that all individuals come away from their training with a thorough understanding of the course content, and the confidence to start their work as an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor as soon as possible.
The OCDEA course covers everything from legislation surrounding new build dwellings to SAP methodology, with access to Elmhurst's first-class SAP energy software throughout the course.
We offer two options for OCDEA qualification and accreditation allowing you to train via a new entrant or ‘Approved Prior Experiential Learning’ (APEL) route.
Training as a New Entrant
Our four-day OCDEA training course for new entrants leads to an ABBE (Awarding Body for the Built Environment) qualification and includes:
- Introduction to energy assessment, legislation and background
- The ABBE Award, timescales and assessment requirements
- Review of Distance Learning tasks
- Background to planning and building control legislation
- Detailed requirements of Part L1A (new dwellings)
- Part L1B (existing dwellings) – extensions and material change of use
- Thermodynamics & U-Values
- Domestic heating & hot water systems
- Renewable technologies & measurement conventions
- Elmhurst Design Software - configuration and use
- SAP Data input requirements & Building Control compliance outputs
- EPC production & practical software workshop
- Case Studies – with trainer support
- U-value calculator exercise & first EPC assessment
- Review of assessment requirements & portfolio build.
OCDEA – New Entrant Training Cost
Total OCDEA New Entrant training cost is £1590.00 (plus VAT). Price includes:
- £230.00 ABBE registration
- Four days training
- Work at home study pack
- Access to Elmhurst’s Design SAP software during training
- Technical support helpline during training
Training via the APEL Route
The APEL training route applies to those with experience of working in areas of design, construction and/or energy assessment for new build domestic buildings for a period of at least two of the last five years.
Candidates must demonstrate that they meet the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding as defined by the National Occupational Standards (NOS). They will be expected to be familiar with Building Regulations, construction methods, HVAC and lighting systems related to domestic properties and understand architects’ plans.
Applications for APEL:
Please book onto your preferred course date through our online training calendar. Once payment has been received you will be sent the APEL application form to complete and return to us. Your experience, qualifications and training are mapped against the standards to determine your suitability for the APEL route. We will notify you of the outcome of the mapping process. If you have not met the APEL requirements, you can still take the new entrant route.
If you are not successful in your application a full refund can be issued. Elmhurst Energy do reserve the right to charge an admin fee for the mapping process.
OCDEA- APEL Training Cost
- £770.00 (plus VAT)
- 2 days training (Accommodation available in close proximity to Elmhurst)
- Distance learning materials
- Access to Elmhurst’s Design SAP software during APEL period
- Technical support helpline during APEL period
- Assessment of 5 SAP Calculations