Contact Us
Member Login

Your cart is empty



Complaints Resolution

Elmhurst takes complaints very seriously. As a Government approved accreditation body our members must meet compliance standards for the quality of energy certificates. We complete compliance checks on a regular basis throughout the year, ensuring that quality energy and retrofit services are being delivered.

Although we monitor our members, we are by no means an employer for them.

In the UK an Energy Certificate (more commonly known as an EPC) is required for all residential and commercial properties when they are placed on the market for sale or rent. This has been the case since 2007 and is covered in the Energy Performance of Buildings Regulation.

The Energy Certificate will be produced by an accredited Energy Assessor who is able to calculate the energy performance of a property by collecting and entering relevant property information into Government approved software.

The Energy Certificate itself shows the energy efficiency rating of a property on an A to G scale (A+ for non-domestic), alongside recommended improvement measures, and the buildings impact on the environment.

Energy Certificates are managed slightly differently across the UK:

England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Energy certificates are stored and made available online from a government trusted website.


Energy certificates are lodged through an independent Scottish register which is maintained by the Energy Savings Trust (EST) here.


Elmhurst is an accreditation body. We offer training and support to our assessors. As a Government approved accreditation body assessors must meet compliance standards for the quality of energy certificates. Elmhurst complete these compliance checks on a regular basis throughout the year. Ensuring the quality of the lodged energy certificate. Elmhurst are not an employer of our accredited assessors.

The main purpose is to allow potential buyers and tenants the ability to compare energy efficiency for similar properties.

There are government funding mechanisms that also require an energy certificate. Details of which can be found on the energy certificate.

An Energy Certificate considers energy used  to provide space heating, lighting, ventilation and hot water to a property. It  is not a reflection of the condition of the property or any specific element within it.

Where a site visit is required the assessor will complete a non-invasive assessment. This will take the form of a visual inspection of the property where the assessor will need access to all areas. If there is an area that cannot be visually inspected such the loft space, documentary evidence can be used.

The Energy Certificate is based on a standard occupancy and makes assumptions based on how this standard occupancy would use the heating, lighting and ventilation services in a property. This  allows for the comparison of different sized dwellings across the country. The energy certificate does not take account of energy use from domestic appliances such as fridges or TVs and is based on fuel prices that may differ from the tariffs the utility provider charges you.

To reflect the energy usage of the owner/occupier you would require an occupancy assessment. This can be achieved for a domestic dwelling (houses, flats etc.) by instructing a Retrofit Coordinator.

Before submitting an official complaint we would ask that the following steps be followed:

  1. Contact the assessor who lodged the energy certificate to determine if they can resolve your issue.
  2. If necessary raise the complaint in writing to the assessor.
  3. The assessor can then work towards resolving the complaint in accordance with their own complaints procedure.

If steps 1 to 3 have been followed and you remain dissatisfied, and where the energy certificate has been issued by an Elmhurst Member, you can proceed to submit a complaint to Elmhurst.