Research and Technical Officer
Location: Flexible with offices in Milton Keynes, Lutterworth and Bromsgrove
Industry Sector: Built Environment
Travel: National and some International
Package: Circa £25k + Bens
Build Test Solutions Ltd (BTS) is an exciting new start-up business that discovers, develops and commercialises testing and performance verification solutions in the built environment. Founded by the National Energy Foundation, Elmhurst Energy and Absolute Air and Gas, BTS aims to work with game-changing building testing technologies. The first product offering is the PULSE air test http://www.pulseairtest.com/ which has the potential to transform the existing market for air permeability testing of new and existing buildings and to create new markets.
This is a unique opportunity which demands a combination of technical, practical and scientific skills. We are seeking a candidate capable of reliably carrying out vital R&D testing, including data collection and analysis, which will form an important part of the technology proposition to the market and to policy makers. Testing will be carried out on building sites, within existing occupied buildings and often in collaboration with potential customers. The successful candidate will be competent in delivering research projects involving practical testing, data collection and handling, as well as analysis and reporting. The candidate will be able to manage projects independently, working to critical path deadlines as part of a larger project. A full package of training will be provided to the candidate prior to commencement of field testing. The customer-facing aspect of the role calls for an all-rounder with strong interpersonal skills. Depending on the skills of the candidate, the role may also include an IT aspect. As a start-up, Build Test Solutions represents an opportunity for steep career progression for candidates with strong leadership or technical ability.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in carrying out a large field trial of the PULSE airtightness testing technology, gathering data on how the technology performs compared to the existing blower door fan method and tracer gas concentration decay test methods.
- Lead in the collation and analysis of research findings, involvement in presentation for the benefit of key stakeholders and policy makers.
- Contribute to wider BTS business activities through provision of equipment demonstrations, technical support for customers and input into ongoing product and solution development.
- Combine in-field testing experiences with client and key stakeholder feedback to help inform ongoing R&D.
- Scope for ongoing role development
Required Skills and Experience
- Qualified to at-least degree level in a scientific, mathematical or engineering specialism, or similar relative to the construction sector
- Some experience in working in an applied/field based research environment, comfortable with compiling and communicating findings and evidence.
- Competent with regards to handling and analysis of complex data sets
- Familiar with building physics concepts
- Experience in project and programme management
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work alone as well as alongside others both within and outside of the BTS organisation
- Physically able to carry out manual handling activity e.g. carrying of testing equipment around building sites
- Competent in IT, importantly Excel or equivalent data handling software and word processing
- Time flexible and in possession of a full UK driving license
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience/familiarity with building site practices e.g. health and safety
- Qualification in project management
- Experience or qualifications in building surveying and/or testing e.g. Air tightness testing, Domestic Energy Assessor etc.
- Expertise in building physics and building performance
- An entrepreneurial mind-set, able to see new product development opportunities arising from field based research work
- IT skills including, but not limited to: Programming, web development, databases (e.g. SQL), App development
- Experience in sales, or another customer-facing role
Please apply by email including:
- Your CV
- A supporting letter
- Where you first saw the post advertised
- The code BTS1
If you wish to apply for this position please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org